samedi 8 avril 2023

A star is born

Judy Garland paced nervously outside Louis B. Mayer's office. She had heard rumors that he was talking behind her back about her appearance, calling her "the fat one" and "the Hunchback." She took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Come in," Mayer's gruff voice called out.

Judy stepped inside, feeling small and unsure. Mayer sat at his desk, surrounded by papers and cigarette smoke.

"Mr. Mayer, may I speak with you for a moment?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Mayer looked up, his eyes tired and stressed. "What is it, Judy? I'm very busy today."

Judy hesitated, then took a deep breath. "I've heard that you've been saying some things about me, behind my back. About my appearance."

Mayer's expression turned sour. "And what if I have been? You're not exactly a beauty queen, Judy. We've got to sell tickets, you know."

Judy's face flushed with embarrassment and shame. "I'm sorry, sir. I just wanted to know why you would say such things."

Mayer leaned forward in his chair, his voice growing harsh. "Listen, Judy. You're a talented performer, but that's not enough in this business. You need to have the look, the glamour, the appeal. And frankly, you don't have it."

Judy felt her heart sink. She had always felt insecure about her appearance, but to hear it confirmed by Mayer himself was devastating.

"Is there anything I can do, sir?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Mayer sighed heavily. "I don't know, Judy. Maybe lose some weight, work on your posture. But honestly, I don't know if it'll be enough."

Judy nodded, feeling tears prick at her eyes. "Thank you for your honesty, sir. I'll try to improve."

As she turned to leave, Mayer's voice stopped her in her tracks.

"And one more thing, Judy. If you come to me again with these kinds of complaints, I'll have no choice but to let you go. We've got a business to run here, and I won't tolerate insolence."

Judy felt her chest tighten with fear as she fled from Mayer's office, running to her dressing room in tears.

It was there that Mickey Rooney found her, his heart breaking at the sight of his dear friend so upset.

"Judy, what's wrong?" he asked, taking her into his arms.

Judy sobbed into his chest, telling him everything that had happened with Mayer.

Mickey's eyes filled with anger and determination. "Judy, don't listen to him. You're beautiful just the way you are. And more importantly, you're one of the most talented performers I've ever known. Don't let Mayer's words bring you down."

Judy sniffled and wiped her eyes, feeling a glimmer of hope in her heart. "Thank you, Mickey. I needed to hear that."

Mickey squeezed her hand, a fierce determination in his eyes. "We'll show Mayer what we're made of, Judy. You just wait and see."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

The Bundy curse

The forge in Lower Uncton had always been a place of honest work and honest sweat. In the autumn of 1653, the rhythmic clanging of hammer ag...