Paris, 1927.
Twenty years after her death, the Musée d'Orsay holds a retrospective:
Amy March: Light in Exile
The gallery is full. Critics, artists, students many of them women. Her name had been forgotten, nearly erased. But time, and talent, refused to stay buried.
They rediscovered her:
In Giverny letters where Monet praised her “honest shadows.”
In auctioned salons where unsigned canvases bore her unmistakable hand.
In diaries of women painters who whispered, “She made a life without needing a man to frame it.”
Now, she is spoken of beside Morisot and Cassatt.
Not as an imitator as a voice.
Jo Attends, Alone
Jo is an old woman now. Laurie has passed. The house is quiet.
But Amy, Amy is everywhere.
She walks through the exhibition like through a graveyard, but instead of sorrow, she finds awe.
There’s “The Mirror.”
There’s “Giverny.”
There’s “The Unfinished One” now framed in black, spotlighted.
And beside it, under glass, a folded letter.
Addressed: To Jo.
Amy’s Final Letter (Found in Her Studio Drawer)
" Dearest Jo,
I once wanted everything you had the fire, the words, the boy.
Then I realized I was meant to want differently.
You were always lightning. I was always the still pond but even still water reflects the sun.
I painted because I couldn’t scream. I painted because I loved too much, and no one knew what to do with it.
If you’re reading this, it means someone finally saw me. Not just as your sister, or Laurie’s almost, but as Amy.
That’s all I ever wanted.
Love,
A. "
Jo closes the letter. Her hands tremble. But for the first time, she smiles when she cries.
Amy didn’t need pity. She needed history to catch up.
And now it has.
Final Note: The Girl They Overlooked
In art history books, she's known simply as:
'Amelia March (1850–1906): The Mirror Between Two Worlds."
One of the first American Impressionists.
A sister. A shadow. A light we didn’t deserve until it was gone.
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire